The Department of Law is staffed with three full-time attorneys, John Espar, Rose Rivera, and Kevin Davis.
Paralegal, Dasha Slater and;
Legal Assistant Yadira Fernandez.
Corporation Counsel, John Espar, is head of the Legal Department. The City of Elkhart’s Department of Law serves primarily in a support role within the city organization, and the attorneys in the Department are responsible for providing legal counsel and representation to public officials, employees, boards, and commissions of the City relating to the affairs of municipal government. The attorneys in the Legal Department specifically provide the following services:
- Represent the City in most litigation matters where the City of Elkhart is a party, except matters handled by our insurance counsel;
- Prosecute violators of city ordinances;
- Prepare, review, or revise ordinances, resolutions, contracts, deeds, easements, pleadings, briefs, motions, memoranda, correspondence, and other documents for the City and its departments, boards, commissions, and other agencies;
- Collect fines, fees, damages and other monies owed to the City; and
- Provide advice to and represent management in the labor and employment context.
The goal of the Department of Law is to provide competent, cost-effective and timely legal counsel and representation to all of the internal clients served by one or more of the full-time attorneys.