1909 W Mishawaka Rd
Elkhart, IN 46516
Mission: “Keeping the City Moving”
The Elkhart Central Garage services equipment that ranges from Weed Eaters to Pay Loaders, Generators to an Asphalt Paver and Lawnmowers to Sewer Vacuum Trucks. All of the departments that serve the City of Elkhart need all these varieties of tools to properly ensure the citizens of Elkhart a clean and operating city. Maintaining 1000 pieces of equipment City wide for the 14 following departments; Aviation, Building & Grounds, Building, Central Garage, Cemetery, Emergency Management, Engineering, Motor Pool, Police, Planning, Street, Traffic, Water distribution and Water Collections. The Central Garage also provides 24 hour 7 days a week, shop, road call, and emergency service. Regularly maintaining and repairing all units in the fleet throughout the year on a preventative maintenance schedule is our primary function.
Central Garage Duties
- Purchasing and disposing of all City motorized equipment except Fire Department.
- Registering, insuring, and plating all City equipment including Fire Department.
- Providing fuel cards and maintaining fuel program for the City.
- Specification writing and bid process for new City equipment.
- Tracking all repair/maintenance work orders and outside repairs, on a fleet equipment software program.
- Monitor all CDL licenses and operator licenses for employees driving City owned equipment. Running quarterly driver license checks, and random drug testing for CDL program.
- Prepare new vehicles and equipment for service: Installing necessary add on equipment used by Departments. Also install Lettering, stickers, and numbering on new equipment.
- Fabricating new and old equipment for better Department usage.
- Warranty claims
- Body shop repairs
- Glass repairs
- Front end alignments
- Outside repairs
The Central Garage has ten full time mechanics, one full time shop Crew Leader, one full time Parts Manager, one full time Office Manager, and one part-time Janitor/Parts shuttle. Several Central Garage Employees combine for over 50 various certifications from a nationally recognized association called ASE (Automotive Service Excellence), which also includes certifications for Parts Department, Equipment Installation, Heavy Duty Truck Technician, and Service Consultant. We are committed to training our mechanics for the ever-changing automotive, truck and equipment field, computer training is a must with new equipment. Welding, torching, fabricating, on board diagnostics, tire replacements and hydraulic repairs are some of our everyday tasks. Each season of the year creates challenging duties. The winter brings Plows into the shop nonstop for cutting edge replacements, the spring and summer has asphalt repair and paving, lawnmowers with needs for hydraulics, tires and blades. The fall has all the necessary equipment to provide leaf pickup with Pay Loaders, Dump Trucks and Tractors. Of which tires, loader buckets and hydraulics all desire plenty of maintenance. Street Sweeping continues throughout the year unless to cold, with brooms, elevator belts and hydraulic motors needing attention.
229 S Second St
Elkhart, IN 46516
The Elkhart City Controller’s Office is responsible for the smooth flow of all financial transactions. This includes all accounts payable and receivable, budget preparation, and administering payroll, licensing programs, employee benefits and coordination of all city investments. An advanced general ledger accounting system is coordinated by computerization for all systems reporting in this office.
2024 Draft Budget
James Gerald, IT Director
131 Tyler St Elkhart, IN 46515
P: 574-218-7865 F: 574-293-7658
The Information Technology (IT) Department provides user support, network services, and all other technologies to the employees of the City of Elkhart. IT provides the technology infrastructure used by City workers to provide services to the citizens of Elkhart. IT supports 23 locations and approximately 750 users.:
John M. Espar
Department of Law
229 S Second St
The Department of Law is staffed with four full-time attorneys, John Espar, Rose Rivera, Kevin Davis and Maggie Marnocha, and paralegals, Dasha Slater and Gina Garrison. The Corporation Counsel, John Espar, is the head of the Department. The Department serves primarily in a support role within the city organization, and the attorneys in the Department are responsible for providing legal counsel and representation to public officials, employees, boards, and commissions of the City relating to the affairs of municipal government. The attorneys in the Department specifically provide the following services:
- Represent the City in most litigation matters where the City of Elkhart is a party, except matters handled by our insurance counsel;
- Prosecute violators of city ordinances;
- Prepare, review, or revise ordinances, resolutions, contracts, deeds, easements, pleadings, briefs, motions, memoranda, correspondence, and other documents for the City and its departments, boards, commissions, and other agencies;
- Collect fines, fees, damages and other monies owed to the City; and
- Provide advice to and represent management in the labor and employment context.
The goal of the Department is to provide competent, cost-effective and timely legal counsel and representation to all of the internal clients served by one or more of the full-time attorneys.
Public Record Request >